Archive for October, 2008
There is a lot going on right now:
- I am working on a video script for a major Japanese automaker that introduces a new model in its diesel automobile lineup. The video will be used in dealerships throughout Europe, according to what I’ve been told.
- Another video script project just came in, and this one is also for a major Japanese automaker but deals with the history of one of its Asian subsidiaries
- I will also be doing a press release for a major Japanese automaker about some of its new interactive environmental technologies.
- Finally, that press kit project (for, of course, a major Japanese automaker) continues to progress. My colleague in Japan has visited the client and received access to a wealth of graphics data which we will use to give the press kit a truly remarkable look. I am very proud to be a part of this project, which will introduce a very important new model to North America.
I am busy, but it’s a good even burn. I have stepped up my local marketing efforts and joined the Greater Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce. Salesperson Brady Jacoba has done a fantastic job of getting me on board and getting my listing up on their site (click on the “New Members” link on the home page to see the listing for Marrubium Inc.). It looks like the Indy Chamber has a very nice program ready for 2009, and I am proud to be a member. Call Brady at 317.464.2209 for more information.
I have also been meeting with local ad agencies and website developers to talk about helping out. I can take on about 3 – 4 medium- to large-size clients right now going into winter but am also happy to do one-off projects for individual businesses. If you would like to create some new marketing content for your business or start a long-term business relationship, now is a great time to talk with me, as I expect a very full plate in spring and summer 2009 (and yes, that is with the economic downturn, in which, as the old joke goes, I have decided not to participate).
I am happy to do visit your business to do a free consultation, and I also have relationships with excellent graphic designers and Web developers, so please give me a call!
I am working on a press release for a major Japanese automaker. This is a big document, 5 pages in Microsoft Word, and it deals with an all-new model in detail. I do love working on press releases and keeping abreast of new products in the market.
After I get done with this today, I’ll be starting on an automobile video script.
Just a short update for you, but it’s a lot of writing….
It’s been a busy week or so since I last updated you on my writing activities.
For a major Japanese automaker, I continue to work on the press kit for a new model coming out in spring 2009. The project is going quite well, and it looks as though they’ll be giving us access to CAD data with which to make some cool graphics for the kit.
For this same company, I did a press release this week concerning their solar panel business in Japan, which is really taking off.
The other major project that has been occupying my time is the book I am writing with my friend, who is an extraordinary HR consultant. A real guru, if you will. Yesterday, I served at his assistant at a seminar he gave for free to a local charitable organization. It was pretty amazing how he held the room and got some pretty complex ideas across in a succint, appealing way. It’s a real honor to be working with him on this book and helping him convey these important and original ideas to an even wider audience.
The automobile press kit project has been in stasis since last week but should be heating up again soon. In the meantime, I have been working on three other projects:
- The biographies for my local client. There are nine of them, and the trick has been to get a good balance between them so that all have the same length, same tone, and same level of appeal. It looks as though they will be used as Web content by the client. I’m somewhat of a perfectionist, but I think I’m almost there.
- A book I’m writing with a client. Actually, he’s the boss, he’s the main author, and I’m the editor and encourager. The topic is under wraps for now, but let’s just say that it deals with self-improvement in the world of business. My author is really quite brilliant, and it truly is a privilege to be a part of his work. Once we get a publishing deal together, of course I will raise a big ruckus about it here and tell you exactly where you can buy it.
- Finishing up my basketball story. “After the Big Game” will be published in four installments in college basketball programs.
I’ve got really good momentum on the book, so it looks as though that will be my focus for tomorrow, but things often fly in from Japan while I sleep!
Shame on me: it’s been a month since I’ve written here. Time has flown, but not in an unproductive fashion. In addition to getting the content of this site together (apologies again to my visitors!), I’ve been working on the following for a major Japanese automaker:
- New model press kit. This consumed most of September, as my friends and family well know. It’s not done yet, but the US affiliate has approved the copy for the most part and we are now going to layout. Many revisions to follow, I’m sure. I need to keep mum about the details, but the vehicle is truly exciting! This press kit is not translation-based; I am writing it in English, editing a variety of source content and adding extensive copy of my own. Tough but rewarding work!
- Two press releases for the same vehicle, which has created quite a stir at the still ongoing Paris Motor Show.
- A press release for a very interesting new safety device. My translation in effect ended up branding the device, and it was by no means a literal translation (literalness would not have worked in this case) so I am rather proud of this. This release was picked up by auto-related media around the world.
- A press release about a power steering system.
- An internal media piece.
- A large panel for an international competition.
- A video script concerning another model. This video will not be seen by so many people, as the model in question is practically a race car and something quite exclusive. Fun stuff.
OK, that’s all for one company. Here’s what I have been doing here in the US the past month:
- Interpreted for hospitals. We had the Moto GT race here at the Speedway recently, and I was called to Interpret for a rider who crashed during the race and bumped his head. He was completely fine and was released in just a few hours. He certainly was an interesting fellow to talk to, though!
- Interpreted for a law firm.
- Am currently working on some bios for a local service provider to go up on their website. Very nice client.
- I’ve had a fiction story serialized in college football programs sent out to stadiums around the country. The publisher told me the circulation was at least 100k, so I hope readership will be substantial. The publisher liked my story quite a bit, so I’m working on a new one now.
Thanks much again to my clients, friends, and family who are always such a great support as I write like crazy. I promise now to blog here on a more frequent basis and keep you up to date with my goings-on!